No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, GeccoMorgan, and welcome. You asked:

<<After maxing out one's 401K and utilizing the Roth IRA, are there any additional steps one can take to shelter (fully or at least party) income from short term taxes if the money is earmarked for retirement or long term investing?>>

The only thing left is an after-tax annuity. That's appropriate if your sole goal is to shelter any earnings from income taxes until you retire; however, in general they make a poor substitute for the purposes of maximizing your savings. If the latter is really your goal, then stick with a taxable account within which you use stocks to maximize growth and minimize dividends. When you sell, the growth gets taxed at much lower capital gains rates. Chances are far better that you'll end up with more money that way then you would in an annuity after you start withdrawals that get taxed at ordinary income tax rates.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.