No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Goldenkj, and welcome. You asked:

I would like to open a Roth Educational IRA for my 4 year old daughter. I haven't done so yet mostly because of my distrust of mutual funds. The correction has given me renewed incentive to get moving.

Can I use the $500 for individual stocks or do I have to use a mutual fund?

You may open the EIRA with a broker or fund. The problem will be to find one (particularly a broker) that will accept the account. Many funds and brokers will not because the contributions are limited to $500 per year. That's a very small amount of dollars for the administration that would be involved. Consequently, many custodians simply don't want to be bothered.

Print the post  


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.