Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Grindel, and welcome. You asked:

<<i recently retired from one job and took a higher paying one i get a pension every month which i don't need is there any way i can invest this money and avoid paying tax on it now? i'm over 60 >>

Pension payments cannot be transferred to an IRA and are considered income in the year received. Therefore, you must pay income tax on that income. If you meet the requirements for a fully deductible traditional IRA, then the best you can do is make a $2K per year contribution to one based on the earned income you have from your new job. For details on IRAs, see our IRA area at

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.