No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, gwmgwm, and welcome. You asked:

<<What if aggressive investing of a Roth IRA results in a loss?
The stock in my wife's 99 Roth IRA is currently at about a 33% loss. Could I cancel, before 17 April 2000, the Roth IRA and open a separate spousal traditional IRA (assuming she qualifies)? Would the loss be deductible anywhere?>>

IRS Publication 590 is silent on losses in a Roth IRA. It does address loses in traditional IRAs. See page 29 for details. My guess (and that's all it is) that if your spouse closed all her Roth IRAs and showed a loss, then the tax treatment of that loss would be similar. Try posting this query on the Tax Strategies board where the tax experts reside. Someone there is sure to have the correct answer.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.