UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76420  
Subject: Re: Roth IRA and State Laws Date: 10/8/1998 5:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, HardlyRich, and welcome. You asked:

I am new to this board and haven't seen any posts on this subject so I'll ask now.

I live in a Massachusettes which has a state income tax. From what I have been able to discern from the state law at URL:

http://www.magnet.state.ma.us/dor/rul%5Freg/tir/98/tir98_2.htm

...Massachusettes does not appear to even recognize the Roth as an IRA. Thus any gains or dividens earned are taxable at the state level in the year they occur (just as if its a regular investment account).

Under this condition, would it still be wise to convert my Rollover IRA to a Roth if the only tax benefits are at the Federal level and I must pay all state taxes as they occur?

Also, I had opened a Roth IRA in the beginning of the year and contributed my $2000. Should I continue with this account, making yearly contributions of $2000 even though the state will treat the account as any regular investment account.

Are other states recognizing Roth IRAs?

If my interpretation of Massachusettes law is incorrect then let me know.

There are some 19 states that do not conform to federal law with regard to taxation of the Roth IRA. Massachusetts is one of these states. Most of the 19 non-confirming states are expected to pass legislation adopting the federal position on taxation, but I don't know if MA is one of them. You'll have to check with your state legislature on that.

You'll also have to examine your own tax situation to see if a conversion and/or contributory Roth IRA makes sense in your case. Obviously, it certainly isn't as an attractive option as it is for someone who can avoid both federal and state income taxes.

Regards….Pixy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement