No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Hare, and welcome.

<<I am considering moving a 6 figure IRA to a Roth IRA, paying income taxes on gains now vs. 14 years from now when I access money. Reason for this is I expect minimum income tax rate in 98. Sooo, what say you fools. I dont know whether to pay Uncle Sam now at 15 percent tax on gains or pay in 14 years at who knows what! Input is much appreciated.>>

As others have pointed out, when you convert that IRA to a Roth the sum must be declared as income ratably over the next four years. At six figures, that's at least $25K per year, and it will be taxed at the marginal rates in effect in those years. That may or may not be in the 15% bracket depending on your other income.

Also, you should consider how you'll pay those taxes. If you expect to take the taxes from the amounts being rolled, then almost certainly you're better off leaving the money in the traditional IRA. See the information at for additional details.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.