UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Re: Conversion to a Roth IRA Date: 2/19/1998 3:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, HomerCompton, and welcome.

<<I am currently looking at converting my trad IRA to a Roth IRA. Vanguard advises me not to mix (commingling) my assests (conversion money and new contributions). They have advised this because they said thats what the IRS said.

I would like to keep it all together and avoid multiple accounts and extra annual fees.

Does anyone know why the IRS is advising this? Is there or will there be any penalty for commingling?>>

There is a technical correction to the law establishing the Roth that's now pending in Congress. It will be retroactive to 1/1/98, and it specifies the order in which money may be removed from a Roth. Normally, you can take money from contributions anytime. If you convert a traditional IRA, you must wait five years. The correction will specify penalties from taking money from the conversion within five years, plus it will say that's the money that comes out of an account first. The order is as follows from first out to last out:

a. Contributions from IRAs converted in 1998 - If taken within five years, there will be a 10% penalty on the amount taken PLUS another 10% penalty for spreading the income tax on the conversion over four years. Total: 20% penalty.
b. Contributions from IRAs converted in 1999 or later - If taken within five years, there will be a 10% penalty on the amount taken.
c. Contributions from any other source - No penalty when withdrawn.

There is no law that says you can't mix conversion money with normal contribution money. BUT - The IRS has strongly recommended that Roth providers not allow this because of the pending correction, and has issued an approved Roth IRA agreement that specifically precludes it. Most Roth providers are following this recommendation. Separate accounts helps keep track of the money in Roth IRAs, and also helps prevent you from making a mistake you will regret.

When the IRS "recommends" something, most Fools listen.

Regards……Pixy

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement