No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Huldah, and welcome. You asked:

<<A single dependent child has bonafide earned income of say about $2000 but is NOT otherwise required to file a 1040 since earned income is less than $4250, has no investment income and nature of work is unlikey to be called self employment and subject to $400 limit on nonreporting.

YES OR NO? AND CITE PLEASE. Tax return is required in order to take a ROTH IRA?>>

Nothing in the tax code says you must file an income tax return in order to contribute to an IRA. The only requirement for the contribution is earned income, and that may or may not be taxable. In the example you cite, it is not, so no return is required. Nevertheless, that income may still be used as the basis for an IRA contribution. IMHO all you need do in this case is retain appropriate evidence that the contribution stemmed from earned income to rebut any potential challenge by the IRS in the future that the contribution was inappropriate.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.