UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75777  
Subject: Re: Investing lump sum IRA Date: 1/10/1999 4:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Humpback, and welcome. You wrote in part:

<<So now being Foolish seems like a strategy that I can accept and am actually excited to be learning about being able to take care of my own retirement portfolio, which is still bordering on new to me.

Thanks in advance for your valuable information.

Now I have a couple of questions?

Discount Brokers

Currently I am paying $40 a trade. Not bad for an occasional trade for 100 shares. But too much for Fool 4 trades and the others that I will be initially making this year. I've look at a few brokers so far and have more info coming. Is a etrade broker like DATEK a possible alternative? I almost always have access to the Net.

Also, for retirement I think I read maybe invest 30% of the money in the Foolish 4. Is that in the ballpark?>>

Congratulations on taking charge in a Foolish way. Yes, a discount broker is indeed possible and helps keep your trading costs way down. Most Fools use one rather than pay the high fees of full service brokers. Why pay for a service you don't use? After all, Fools are doing the research and analysis plus making the decisions, so we don't pay for something we don't get.

How you allocate your money is up to you. There is no magic number before or after retirement. We all struggle with that decision, but it basically boils down to how much risk we're willing to take. I suggest you read the series of 23 posts on retirement investing posted on this board starting at http://boards.fool.com/registered/Message.asp?id=1040013000079000&sort=postdate for some thoughts on the subject. The "Retired Ralph Redux" missives should be of particular interest to you.

Welcome aboard and Fool on!

Regards....Pixy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement