Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: Re: No cushion or stocks Date: 4/19/2000 4:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Greetings, idontbelieve, and welcome. You wrote:

<<Just read the delightful fairytale article on 5yr cushion. What advise to those like me that don't have either? Can anyone suggest something better than below? Thanks.

I am 66 yrs old single female. My house will not be paid up until probably April,2004. Possible SS will be $835. Unfortunately pension (work at a poor place)probably around $255. Don't want to rely on kids.

I just started this year having $50.00 pre-tax dollars taken out each payperiod (tax deffered annuity). As of May, my salary will jump $4,000 (took on additional program responsibilities)and I will probably have most of that taken out also. >>

Yes, for someone who has reached the age of 66 with no significant savings for retirement the concept of having up to five years' of income not invested in stocks must definitely appear a dream. I truly regret that for whatever reason you now find yourself in that position.

At this stage of your life, you seem to be doing what you can, particularly when it comes to putting away your $4K raise. The more money you have as a fallback, the better off you will be when you finally stop working. Unfortunately, there's not much I can suggest beyond saying it's readily apparent that the bulk of your retirement money will come from Social Security as supplemented by the small pension. Accordingly, you will be living on a very restricted budget, something I'm sure is very apparent to you. You don't have the time available like most younger folks to save substantial sums to provide what you need for a better life, and that's something no one can change for you. Thus, just do the best you can with the limited working years you have remaining. You're obviously on the right track in doing so, so keep it up for as long as you can.

Regards..Pixy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement