No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Jeanne, and welcome. You asked:

Can we transfer the Keogh into a SEP-IRA to get away from that pesky automatic IRS payment on distributions, until the tax is due (like next year) or will this trigger some horrible combustion of TAXES and PENALTIES?????

Yes, as W401K aka Bill pointed out, all that needs to be done to avoid any income tax withholding is to arrange for a direct transfer of the Keogh proceeds from that custodian to your traditional IRA custodian. That means the check cannot be made out in a way that allows you to cash it personally. Typically it would be made payable to the custodian FBO (for the benefit of) you as the account holder. Your IRA custodian can tell you how to have the check cut and to where it must be sent. As to penalties, as someone else noted, you are beyond the age where those would apply.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.