Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Jlrob, and welcome. You asked:

<<I am retired an taking minimun distributions. Am I locked into benificiaries and converting to Roth? Can you reccomend a publication.>>

If you are age 70 1/2 and are taking mandatory minimum required distributions (MRD) from an IRA, then you are locked into the method you chose for the MRD. If that method involved using the joint life expectancy of you and a beneficiary, then you are also locked into the use of the life expectancy of that beneficiary. You may still change the beneficiary, but you cannot use the new beneficiary's life expectancy for your MRD calculation in future withdrawals.

You may also convert your IRA to a Roth IRA provided you meet the adjusted gross income level for doing so. BUT -- You must take and be taxed on the MRD in the year you convert. The MRD may not be transferred to the Roth. After you have taken the year's MRD, you may then convert what's left in the IRA to a Roth IRA.

IRS Publication 590 (Individual Retirement Arrangements) is the publication that governs MRD and conversions. You can download it at

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.