UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Re: Retirement advice for novice Date: 10/29/1997 3:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Justin, and welcome to Fooldom.

<<In my begining down the Foolish path, I seem to have stumbled and need a little help......I graduating college and have just made aware that I have about $5,000 in bonds that I can cash in. This year I made probably $10,000 however I have accepted a job begining in Jan. in which
I will make $41,500.

Now, I want to put $2,000 into a Roth IRA next month, and another $2,000 on Jan. 1st. Only problem - Roth IRA's aren't available until Jan 1,1998 (my understanding). How do I get the $2k in for this year ? My guess is a deductible IRA this year that will roll over to a Roth in Jan. Only problem, my tax rate is a lot lower this year than what it will be next year (for conversion (rollover)). >>

Your guess is correct. You'll have to use a traditional IRA this year, and then roll that to a Roth on or after January. In essence, you'll probably pay taxes on not much more than your initial $2K because of the short earnings potential over the 60 days before you can roll. If you take the deduction, for tax purposes you'll save 15% of $2K this year, or $300, to pay 28%, or $560 roughly, over the four years beginning in 1998. That will cost you $260 additional in taxes, but that's a small price to pay for the compounding over the years. But you don't have to do that. Just forego the deduction and open an after-tax IRA. You'll pay $300 more in taxes this year, but virtually none when you roll to the Roth next year. Given the option, that may be much better for you.

<<Next, my company (Sonoco Products - SON) has a 401k plan in which you can invest up to 15% of your salary in a choice of 5 mutual funds or Sonoco stock. If you invest in Sonoco stock, they match the first 6% of my salary by 50%. I think its a good idea to put 6% in and get 3% free but beyond that I am not sure whether to put the rest in a regular brokerage acct (w/foolish 4) or put the additional 9% in the 401k. I am not sure if tax break is worth it. Any advice ? >>

No advice, just a comment. Getting the 3% match is the Foolish thing to do. Beyond that, you have to look carefully at the after-tax impacts and returns in all alternatives including the 401k. At your age and using an after-tax approach in the Foolish Four, chances are you'll do far better with the extra $$$ outside the 401k instead of within it. However, if you won't consistently devote those $$$ to the investment, then stay with the 401k. The payroll deduction forces you to stay with the program and will help ensure a comfortable retirement.

Regards…..Pixy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement