No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Katie, and welcome. You asked:

<<Sorry for my ignorance. I have been contributing to a 403b for 2 years with lousy returns (even with diligent annuity selection on my part). Is there anyway to transfer this money out of annuities and into mutual funds? Should I stop contributing to this program and start contributing to another through work? I also have a Roth. >>

If you're still working for the employer who offers that plan, then you won't be able to transfer that money to an IRA until you leave that job. However, unless your employer is making a contribution to the 430b on your behalf, you should be able to move your money out of the annuity into a mutual fund that accepts what's called 403b(7) accounts. Your benefits administrator can tell you for sure. Both Vanguard and Fidelity accept 403b(7) accounts. Moving the money to funds would give you a wider range of investment selections. Be aware, though, that the annuities you are now in may charge you a hefty fee when you surrender them. If that's the case, you may be better off leaving them intact and simply redirecting future contributions to the 403b(7) account.

Regards..Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement