No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, kjs1, and welcome. You asked:

<<I have followed the philosophy of always maximizing pre-tax contributions to tax deferred savings vehicles before investing with post tax dollars. I believe the Roth IRA forces me to re-visit this thinking.

Should I max out my 401k contributions, which are then invested in designated mutual funds, taxed upon distribution and possibly penalized for early withdrawal? Or reduce the 401k contribution to maximize a Roth contribution that would be self-directed, have the principal available without penalty in an emergency and receive distributions tax-free in retirement?>>

Obviously, you should put in enough to your 401k to ensure you receive the maximum match on your contributions your employer provides. Beyond those amounts, you may wish to use a Roth IRA for extra money after considering the tax impact of an after-tax contribution. For ideas in this regard see my Roth analysis at http://boards.fool.com/Registered/Message.asp?id=1040013000441002&sort=postdate . Also, see Step 4 of my 13 Steps to Foolish Retirement Planning at http://www.fool.com/Retirement/Retirement.htm . Both will give you a very good idea of how to approach this issue.

Regards…..Pixy

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement