UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: xraymd Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308882  
Subject: Re: Me vs. My Parents $40K Debt (Long) Date: 9/6/2004 2:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
Greetings, Kyle, you are showing uncommon common sense in coming here and being receptive to any and all input that you receive. Use what you can, and leave the rest! Already everybody in your family is receiving a benefit from having started to really take a deep look at these issues. I think what message is being conveyed here is that nobody is 100% right about what they know and what they do - and that's as true for any of us as posters as it may be for you. Perhaps the biggest life lesson (one I know I am still learning every day) really is humility about what we have to offer. I think you are doing a marvelous job.

I also agree with Mary who suggests cloaking your identity a bit more in your profile, given that you have made disclosures about others' circumstances not your own. That now becomes your resposibility to safeguard.

Further, lots of pride is poised to fall before all is said and done! So I echo the notion that while you have started this process off very well, indeed an independent financial planner (perhaps a consultation with an attorney specializing in estate planning?) could add to the well of knowledge that you have begun to develop and could steer your parents in effective directions none of you presently knows more about. Like mlk58 said, perhaps there are certain financial disclosures your parents may not have made to you. I think it is akin to a physician (which I am) treating her own family member - I am not permitted to write prescriptions for family - and the analogy could hold here, too, as in a future potential conflict of interest given that you are in the direct line of any future estate distributions! And I say that knowing full well that that is in no way your intention and never has been. Just a further consideration to why a level of indirection where advice to your parents is concerned may be a very good idea.

You are clearly very earnest and clearly want to help your parents as fully as possible - and that is admirable. I think by launching the discussions you have planted a very important seed. I further think that by coming back and posting again, even when you may have initially taken offense, shows that you are receptive to all input. That is going to be a great trait! Good luck on your move to the Islands.

xraymd
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement