Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, L2J, and welcome. You wrote in part:

<<Great series and looking forward to next week. Had been turned off by LTC insurance but reconsidering after reading messages on this board over the last 2 weeks. However, I'm writing this for my spouse who is a RN, DON for a nursing home. She has spent 25yrs.+ in the industry, floor nurse to DON with a 5 year stretch as a state investigator of long term care facilities. She is abit upset with:

"When it comes to paying for nursing home care, I list the use of Medicaid as my least favorite option. Visit some of those facilities, observe the type of care received by the residents, talk with the overworked and underpaid staff, and you would probably agree."

We personally would not care to be on Medicaid either but for different reasons than what we feel is implied here. She has worked in 2 states and for those it is unethical and illegal (at least 1 state) to provide prefferential care due to payment method in an approved Medicare/Medicaid facility. In her home you would not be able to identify which residents were paying their own way from those on Medicaid. Exception is those with a private room but those residents do not get any special care nor favors from staff over and beyond other residents.

Please don't consider this post negative, just that there are (we feel as many) differences to the abuses and horror stories we have all heard about.

Thanks David, great article keep em coming!>>

I agree there are probably many fine facilities out there, and that Medicaid facilities are not all bad. I'm tainted by my own observations, as I'm sure we all are to one degree or another. I certainly don't fault the many dedicated folks who staff those facilities, either. Instead, because the trend now is "for profit" homes, I believe any and all blame rests with those who control the assets and who often seek cost reductions and profits at the expense of better care. I wish all homes operated at the same standards as that with which your better half has experienced. Then we could all sleep better.

Thanks for your comments, and tell your spouse to keep up the good work. Her charges and their families indeed appreciate her efforts.

Regards..Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement