UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Re: Re-Contributing Date: 2/2/2001 10:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, LTDEBT, and welcome. You asked:

Say in March I put $2000 in my Roth, in May I remove $2000 for "personal reasons," and then I decided I want to put the money back in, so I contribute $2000 in October. Ultimately I still have $2000 in the account, but haven't I contributed $4000 for the year? I understand that I would get a 1099R stating I removed the $2000, thus crossing out $2000 on my 5498.

My understanding is that if the original $2000 was removed with earning (NIA), then I am allowed to put the money back into the IRA. What happens if earnings weren't taken out on the original distribution? Is that second $2000 an excess contribution? Where can I find this in IRS Regs (I have looked in 590 but haven't come up with anything).

I'll leave the "why" of why you would wish to do that to you. Just be aware that if you remove the $2K but not then earnings, then all you have is an ordinary distribution of your original contribution. You cannot redeposit that sum UNLESS you do so within 60 days of taking it. If you do redeposit it in the same year, then you will have made an excess contribution of $2K. That will be penalized 6% per year each and every year until it is removed (or at least attributed to another and future year's contribution).

Other than the $2K distribution doesn't meet the criteria for a complete withdrawal of the original contribution (it must include all earnings to do so), I don't think you will find anything specific in Pub 590 on the issue.

Regards..Pixy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement