UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75335  
Subject: Re: I'm Rich - Now What? Date: 9/26/1998 11:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Maphisto, and welcome. You asked:

OK, I started, and sold a business, invested the proceeds, and (by chance, not skill) got rich, and retired at 45. (I ended up with about $5 million)

How do I organize my portfolio? Do I still need to take risks? Can I just sit back and get 5% from Bonds? Should I worry about inflation? Do my investments still need to outperform the market?

I have very low expenses, I like to travel, and have figured out I can live very nicely on $150,000 a year. (before taxes)

I'd like to average 10% growth a year. 5% to spend, and 5% for inflation and to steadily increase my income. I don't want to lay awake worrying at night, and I don't want to wake up to learn I just lost 50% of my nest egg.

Others have already commented, but I'll add my two cents anyway. IMHO, yes you will have to worry about inflation and you will have to take a little risk to stay ahead of the game and preserve the purchasing power of both your principal and your income for the next 40 to 50 years. OTOH, if you didn't care about principal but wanted your income to increase with inflation of 4% per year, then that $5M invested in munis earning 5% would last 40 years assuming a starting income of $150K per year.

All in all, you're in an excellent position. IMHO it wouldn't cost much for you to see a fee-only CFP on this issue. At best it would cost you $1K depending on how detailed you want to be in your planning. In exchange, you would get a portfolio mix that takes care of your income and estate needs. Not a bad trade from my perspective.

Regards….Pixy

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement