No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, McGill83, and welcome. You asked:

<<My wife has a traditional IRA, where $2300
is/was non-deductable contributions.

Can this be rolled over to a Roth
tax impact free , while leaving the rest
of what was deductable in the traditional ?>>

No, she cannot. All traditional IRA money, whether in one or multiple accounts, is aggregated to determine what part of a distribution is taxed. If you wife made $2,300 of nondeductible contributions to one or more IRAs now worth $11,500, then 20% ($2,300 divided by $11,500) of any transfer to a Roth IRA would not be taxed, but 80% (($11,500 minus $2,300) divided by $11,500) would. Thus, if she transferred $2,300 to a Roth, $1,840 of it in this example would be taxable.


Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.