No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Mec, and welcome.

<<I am in grad school and have recently married. My wife has some assets in an IRA account through a retirement package with her former employer. I have little experience with IRA investing and have rolled the money into an S&P 500 index fund. Besides mutual funds, where am I allowed to put this money? Is there anyway to create a situation where I can invest in individual equities without compromising the tax benefits? Any educational thoughts are welcomed.>>

The IRA is not the investment. Instead, it's a way of investing on a tax-deferred basis. The investment itself may be anything ranging from a bank CD to shares of stock you buy in the marketplace. You can buy almost anything for the IRA the broker sells. If you wish to trade stocks, then you want to establish what's known as a self-directed IRA with a broker of your choice. All brokers know how to transfer monies from existing IRAs to this kind of IRA. Just contact yours, and that agency can guide you through the process.

Regards…..Pixy

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement