UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76238  
Subject: Re: TSP TO ROTH Date: 4/23/1998 8:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Merchanb

<<Converting my 403B first to an IRA then to a Roth IRA was a snap.

Haven't found any info on TSP conversion.

1. Can I do the same with my TSP while still working for the federal government?

2. If not, can I do that if I retire? (I would if that's what it takes.)>>

Well, I didn't know much about the government's Thrift Savings Plan, so I went to its web page to learn more. You can find it at http://www.tsp.gov/index.html . Her's what I learned at that link.

The TSP is a plan for long-term retirement savings with special tax advantages. Beginning in late 1997, however, limited in-service withdrawals will be available. Otherwise, you cannot withdraw your TSP account until you separate from Federal service. You must be separated for 31 or more full calendar days to be eligible to withdraw your account.

The TSP provides three basic ways to withdraw your account:

oHave the TSP purchase a life annuity for you. You have a choice of many different annuities. See "TSP Annuities."

oReceive your account in a single payment.

oReceive your account in a series of monthly payments. You have a choice as to how your payments will be calculated. You can choose to receive payments for a fixed number of months or in a fixed dollar amount until your account is depleted. You can also have the TSP compute monthly payments for you based on an IRS life expectancy table.

You can have the TSP transfer all or part of a single payment or, in some cases, a series of monthly payments, to an Individual Retirement Arrangement (IRA) or other eligible retirement plan. An eligible retirement plan is one of the following: a tax-qualified employee benefit plan, an individual retirement account, an individual retirement annuity, or an annuity plan described in section 403(a) of the Internal Revenue Code. The IRA or plan must be established in the United States (that is, in one of the 50 states or the District of Columbia).

There's much more information, so you should check it out. In general, it looks like you probably have to retire to get at the money. Even then you won't be able to get a single cash payout to roll to an IRA, though. Instead, you'll have to take a series of payments, each of which can be rolled when paid.

Regards…..Pixy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement