Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Mimidorf, and welcome. You asked:

<<My husband is 71 and is terminally ill will cancer. I am almost 57 and plan to quit working when I am 60. I know that I can draw widow's benefits at that age. My question is whether I can draw from my Social Security until I am 66 and then get full benefits by changing to his benefits. None of the publications are very clear about that aspect. Can you help me?>>

You have my sympathies on your husband's condition.

As to your query, the Social Security Survivor Benefit booklet says:

Retirement Benefits For Widow(ers)

"If you are receiving widows or widowers (including divorced widows or widowers) benefits, you should remember that you can switch to your own retirement benefit as early as age 62. This assumes you're eligible and your retirement rate is higher than your widow'(er) rate. In many cases, a widow(er) can begin receiving one benefit at a reduced rate and then switch to the other benefit at an unreduced rate at age 65. The rules are complicated and vary depending on your situation, so you should talk to a one of our representatives about the options available to you."

The last sentence is the important one. I suggest you call the SSA and ask so you can learn what will happen in your situation for sure.

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.