UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76392  
Subject: Re: Older non-profit employee in trouble Date: 4/19/1998 11:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, minnat, and welcome.

<<I work for a non-profit and am doing okay, retirement wise. I have a 63-year-old colleague who hasn't planned as well, or was incapable of planning as well. So what she has to look forward to in retirement is only Social Security benefits. She has always made a rather marginal salary, didn't know the facts of financial planning, cashed in a pension froma previous employer to educate her son, now has a mortgage on the house she inherited from her mother in order to pay off current debt.

I would like to help this lady, but being incapable of funding her retirement myself, I don't know what to suggest. I suppose the first thing she should do is contact the SS and find out what benefits she can expect. Other than that, I do know that employees of a non-profit can put about 16% of their salary into a tax-sheltered plan, which is what I do. She hasn't had the money to spare to do this.

It seems to me that her situation is pretty tough. Any suggestions as to how she can do better at her age?>>

Unfortunately, at this late stage in her life there is little she can do except to expect to continue at least part time work in retirement to supplement her Social Security. It truly is a sad situation. Definitely have her explore all of her options with the SSA to include looking at her work record and her former or deceased spouse's work record to ensure she draws the largest benefit to which she is entitled.

It's a sad situation, but as I said there's little that can be done at this late date. Her example certainly serves as a wake-up call to us all that we and we alone are responsible for our own well-being in retirement. Social Security even when supplemented by an employer's plan will never be enough. Other savings must be amassed to ensure the continuance of the lifestyle we enjoy prior to retirement.

Regards…..Pixy

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement