UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75381  
Subject: Re: REALITY CHECK TO A ROTHIRA Date: 12/11/1998 9:39 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Morris66, and welcome. You asked:

<<Ann Coleman announced the decision to but $4000 in her ira with the foolish four plan. She also said it was coincidence that $4ooo is equal to a married couple's IRA contibution, and furthermore that the stocks will be announced on the 23rd of this month and bought within 5 days. My question is how will she have $4000 in her porfolio if you cannot have a joint Roth IRA account for husbands and wives, and furthermore, you may deposit $2000 for 1998 between now and April and another $2000 for 99 anytime after, Jan 4, but this will not fall within the time of when she
buys, and when I start, I would like to just write one check.. >>

I have no idea from whence comes the $4K Ann will be using. My suspicion is it will be from money already in her IRA or perhaps a combination of a new deposit and existing money. Seeing as it's not my account or my announcement, maybe you should ask Ann herself.

<<Is she going to have an account for her husband with $2000 that buys the first 2 foolish four and she will buy the foolish four- three and four picks. I want to follow right along, but if I am just starting out my Roth IRA, how can you have $4000 in our account and still pick 5 days after DEC. 23rd?>>

Again, you'll have to ask Ann about her account particulars. For your account, you'll have to wait until 1/1/99 to deposit $4K, $2K for 1998 and $2K for 1999. Be aware that you don't have to buy on the same day Ann does. In fact, you won't know when she will buy until after the fact. I didn't read her announcement, but my bet is she said she would make her purchases "within" five days, which is on any business day. If you want to use the Foolish Four, just make your purchase on the day the money reaches the account.

<< Finally, does the $8 commission for my trades have to be included in my $2000 contribution, or can I send in $2032 since we will be buying four different stocks?>>

No, you cannot. As Zev aka Zgriner said, trading fees must be paid with money inside the IRA. If you pay from your checkbook, that payment will be counted as part of your annual contribution. The annual contribution is limited to $2K. Thus, assuming you already contributed $2K, the payment would cause an excess contribution. You would be penalized 6% of that amount each and every year until it was removed.

Regards….Pixy

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement