No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Nothumbs, and welcome. You asked:

My question is, should I buy into some sort of index fund now, sell the index when I accure the $3K and then buy into the fund or leave my contributions in the money market? Can I even do that? Am I being foolish (in a bad way) buying stocks?

You may invest in whatever your 401k plan offers as an option. As we say in our 401k area at http://www.fool.com/money/401k/401k.htm

"If you're young and will be making regular and continuous contributions to your 401(k) plan over a number of years, history shows that allocating all of your deferral into stocks will likely produce the highest returns.

If you have a 401(k) plan administrator, she won't tell you how to invest your money, even if she knows that, historically speaking, stocks outperform other types of investments. Generally, plan administrators won't expose themselves to any legal liability and won't offer specific investment advice -- markets, after all, don't end up behaving in predictable ways all the time. Or any of the time.

We can't offer specific investment advice to you either, because we don't know your specific situation. (Our message boards, however, are an excellent place for you to discuss your specific situation with the Foolish community at large. Register for free by clicking here.) But if there's a sufficient reason for someone who is decades away from retirement not to take full advantage of the fantastic possibilities that stocks provide, we don't know what it is.

All you've got to do to maximize your returns, therefore, is pick the right equity mutual fund. There's a good chance that your 401(k) has the right fund for you.

But did you know that only 15% of all the 401(k) funds that are put into equity mutual funds are put into the best performing funds? Do you want to know how you can beat 85% of your co-workers?

We're going to boil down all of the information that you'll ever need to know in as short a form as possible -- but, just to make it more fun, we'll test your linguistic abilities by presenting the answer in the form of a question, Jeopardy-style -- and in different languages.

The answer: "Over time, the absolute best performing type of stock mutual funds, bar none."

And the question: 'What are…index funds?'"

The choice is up to you, but most Fools would opt for an index fund above any other type of fund.

Regards..Pixy

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement