Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: jbking Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25310  
Subject: Re: Info Jam! Date: 6/30/2001 11:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Greetings Paws917,

Am I supposed to compare each fund's expense ratios and loads to their returns? If so, am I supposed to use 1 yr. or 5 yr. returns?

First, let's note what does go into the expressed returns as noted in http://news.morningstar.com/news/MS/Investing101/mfexpenses.html so that if there are loads you'd need load adjusted returns. I do think you're also going to need to know what share class the plan has as most have a special class that doesn't have a load to my knowledge. Next, note manager tenure, ie how long has the current manager managed the fund, when comparing returns as well as how the fund is doing compared to peers as in the late 1990s many a tech fund did amazingly well compared to the general market but against peers bad tech funds may be easier to spot. I tend to use longest returns under the given management along with using www.morningstar.com for some peer comparisons where under the Total Returns page there is a % Rank in Category that can be useful.

What about the turnover rate? Does that factor in anywhere and if so, how do I use it?

Turnover is I think more a factor of how the manager runs the fund. Does the manager hold a stock for a few months like Van Wagoner funds or does the fund hold its stocks for years. A Turnover of 100% could be viewed as everything in the portfolio was sold in the course of a year is one example while 50% of the portfolio every 6 months is another.

Also, if a fund is posting a negative return for the YTD, that means that so far, for 2001, it hasn't made any money, right?

That means if the person invested in and re-invested all distributions they have some paper losses yes. There can be cases where a person may take fund distributions and use them elsewhere which would give them a different return than you may see.

Take a look at the university area of www.morningstar.com for more background on funds as well as http://www.vanguard.com/educ/inveduc.html since there isn't much on the Fool about this. Last but not least http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13403173 is a post that has some Frequently Asked Questions about Index Funds, fyi.

JB
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement