No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Pvlogin, and welcome. You asked:

When I joined the company I enrolled into 401k plan.
The company was acquired (before I joined) by another
company and after several years (now) they want
to consolidate all 401k plans under one.

My question is - do I have any choice to stay with
the current provider (Fidelity) or do I have to
rollover to the new plan with no choice (as our
HR claims) ?

And another question - if I quit right now and the
company's 401k plan changes after that - does it
affect me in any way ?

Looks like if you want to stay employed and participate in the new entity's 401k plan, then you're going to have to transfer to the options within that plan. If Fidelity isn't one of them, you're out of luck unless you quit. When you quit, you may transfer your vested 401k monies to an IRA of your choice. Alternatively, you can leave your money in the 401k if you have over $5K, but when it changes you'll still have to move it to the new options available. Thus, if Fidelity means that much to you, you'll just have to quit and transfer the money to an IRA with Fidelity when you do.

Regards….Pixy

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement