UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 77550  
Subject: Re: Premature Contribution Date: 9/13/1998 10:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Regulator, and welcome. You wrote:

Seems I read somewhere that if you made your full contribution to a traditional IRA earlier this year and would now like to set up a Roth IRA, you can w/d that contribution and start a Roth w/o any penalty.

My father made his 2K contrib at the beginning of this year, but now thinks the benefits of a Roth as a supplement to his Trad. IRA might serve him better. Can he undo this before the end of 98? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What you read about was a means to undo the conversion of a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA by transferring the money in the Roth back into a traditional IRA prior to April 15 of the year following the conversion. The easiest way for your father to set up a Roth IRA now is simply to convert the one he established to a Roth IRA.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Kiddie Card Board
Should kids have their own credit card?
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Taking Candy From Strangers
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.