Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19222  
Subject: Re: marginal tax bracket Date: 7/27/2000 9:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Rgoldpet, and welcome. You asked:

<<Please correct me if I am way off. Is the marginal tax bracket only a guide as to where your income level is? That is if you are just below a new bracket say 31% vs 28% does it pay to worry about taking Social Security at 62? >>

Keep in mind that the marginal tax bracket is based on your taxable income. That's what's left after all deductions and personal exemptions have been taken. To determine whether and how much of your SS will be taxed, you start with adjusted gross income (that comes before deductions and exemptions) and add back half your SS and all unearned income (nontaxable municipal bond income for most folks). If you exceed certain threshholds based on your filing status (i.e., single or joint), then up to 85% of your SS will count as additional income and will filter down to your taxable income level to affect your marginal tax bracket. Depending on your total situation, they may or may not affect your decision to take SS at age 62.

And BTW... All you will really lose of the SS payment will be 31% of 85% based on your scenario. That means at most you would lose 26.4% of the age-62 SS payment. IMHO that's not an onerous burden to bear.

Regards..Pixy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Not Cheering the Shire Deal
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement