Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19257  
Subject: Re: converting a 401-k Date: 3/4/2002 4:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Richardhollander, and welcome. You asked:

My daughter has about 20K in a 401-k from her former place of biz. I gather that the money can be removed from that particular entity and rolled somewhere. she wants me to invest the money which I agreed to do (while guaranteeing her no losses- how did I agree to that?). Anyway, I suggested moving to an internet brokerage and just giving me access to it.
Does anybody have any suggestions for:
1. Good online brokerage- Scottrade, USAA, etc.

2. Any particular caveats to moving one of these accts. or do the firms handle all the details as in moving a Roth IRA?

In answer to question 2, see my article "Transfer or Roll Over Your 401(k)?" at http://www.fool.com/retirement/retireeport/2001/retireeport010312.htm for details on how to move the 401(k) money to an IRA. Ignore the caveat on maintaining a separate IRA for the transfer. Since the article was written, it is no longer necessary to keep 401(k) money "untainted" by other funds. For details on that issue, see "Even More Money for Your Retirement" at http://www.fool.com/retirement/retireeport/2001/retireeport010618.htm . Ensure you have her do a direct transfer between the plan and the IRA to avoid any income tax problems.

As to a broker, I offer no suggestions there. I use both Ameritrade and USAA, and am content with both. Just make sure that you have your daughter grant you the authority to trade on her behalf. I know USAA has a specific form they want on file for that purpose. I don't know about Ameritrade. Any broker, though, can tell you what they require to have someone besides the account owner able to make trades.

Regards..Pixy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement