UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Re: Roth Conversion Date: 12/2/1998 8:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, RJE1, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I had outlined my financial situation on Your Finances / Tax Strategies, Subject: Roth Conversion - help Post # 6283. I was directed to your post on this board of 1567. It appears to me that my situation may be like the last example. Hopefully, with good investments I'll stay in the same tax bracket. However, since this is money invested in a treasury zero at 7.5% guaranteed until age 59 1/2, I wonder if there are things that I am not thinking about. When I run calculators I have a hard time figuring out what to put in some of the questions. Also, just running the tax and fees for conversion on the Motley Fool calculator, I came up with a total tax of $70,350 (ouch). I frankly wonder if I could afford to pay that at $1458.33 a month if I payed out of "cash". Comments or suggestions would be appreciated as I try to think through the issues.>>

I can't recommend what you should do, but I can tell you that your tax bill (assuming your calculations are correct) ain't gonna be "…1,458.33 a month…" for 1998, but could be for 1999, 2000, and 2001. Assuming you're in a 28% federal and 7% state tax bracket (combined 35%), you're thinking of converting about $200K. Do that before 12/31, and you can spread the income over four tax years, the first being 1998. So this year you would declare an extra $50K in income, for which the estimated withholding of income taxes must be paid by 1/15/99. Thus, you have but one month to pay your estimated taxes on that $50K ($17.5K due for withholding?). In the subsequent years you can probably get away with quarterly estimated withholding on the $50K of income reportable in those years.

You're talking about a healthy hunk of change here. We know nothing about you or your desires and have far too little information on which to comment authoritatively. I recommend you seek out - quickly - the services of a fee only Certified Financial Planner who can run some conversion scenarios for you to make the choice easier. Better hurry, too, 'cause you're running out of time.

Regards…..Pixy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Reestablishing the Middle Class
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement