No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Saw1, and welcome. You asked:

<<I fall well within the $100,000 AGI to qualify to convert, but I want to understand the tax rate that I will see. I'm assuming that the amount I will be taxed will be based upon my AGI. But, do I have to pay the tax right away or can I put off paying the taxes until tax filing time when I'm filling out my return ?>>

You may have to file and pay estimated quarterly withholding of income taxes based on the amount of the conversion in that quarter. Unless you meet one of the safe harbor provisions for not doing so, then a failure to have enough withholding results in a penalty at income tax filing time. You should run a pro forma income tax return to see if making a withholding payment is called for in your particular set of circumstances.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.