UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76082  
Subject: Re: Smart move, or just lucky? Date: 1/5/2000 10:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Scott, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I started participating in my company's 401(k) in mid-1998. My company's plan provider is Cigna. I withhold the maximum 16% of my paycheck and my company matches 100% of the first 3%, 50% of the next 2%. So 20% of my gross earnings is invested every two weeks (did I do that right?).>>

Yes, you did.

<<80% of my withholdings are invested in Invesco Dynamics (FIDYX) and the remaining 20% in Lazard Equity (LZEOX), both of which seem to be vastly outperforming the S&P 500. Invesco Dynamics shows a return of 72% for 1999.

After reading the “Is Your 401(k) Foolish?” article, I'm concerned that my investment approach may be dangerous for the long haul. I selected the Invesco fund primarily for it's high rate of return and the fact that it had a large percentage of technology stock holdings. I'm considering transferring my investments to the Large Company Stock Index Fund managed by Cigna.

Did I just get lucky, or was Invesco the way to go? Am I not doing as well as I think? Maybe Invesco has run it's course and it's time to move on?

I'm 28 and married one year.>>


Sounds to me as if you're doing just fine. However, overall the long haul the vast majority of managed stock funds fail to equal or beat the S&P 500 Index. Yours are doing so right now, and that's great. But keep your eye on the long-term, not year to year. If you have an index fund available within your plan, that might be the better place for your money to ensure the greatest growth by the time you get to retirement. I don't think your choices are "dangerous" for the long term, only that in that long term their returns may be below that of the index fund. The vast majority of managed stock fund returns are. So just keep an eye on them. If they show lagging performance, switch at that time.

Regards..Pixy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement