No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Ski540, and welcome. You asked:

<<Instead of selling shares of stock, can you transfer the stock out of the ira and pay the taxes out of pocket?>>

Yes, you can. You may ask the broker to transfer those shares to a taxable account. On transfer, you will have a taxable distribution from the IRA that equals the market value of those shares on the day of the transfer plus any fee the broker may assess. Your basis for future capital gains purposes becomes that sum, and it is also the income you must report for ordinary taxation purposes that year.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.