No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Sunny, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I received my ex-husband's 457 money in our divorce settlement. I know I can't touch the money until he separates from his employer. It is my understanding that when this happens, I will receive a lump sum settlement. This fund is well in the 6 figure area and will probably grow considerably in the next 10 years before I expect he will retire. The tax bill will be considerable and will certainly cut into my retirement funds. Does anyone out there know any way around this??>>

There is absolutely no way to avoid taxation on the distribution of a 457 plan to you. The plan, though, might afford you the opportunity to take the money over time. Many 457 plans will allow annual installments from two to fifteen years. If so, that would tend to lessen the overall tax bill to you compared to taking it all in a total cash payment. You should check with the plan administrator to see if that's possible in your case.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.