No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Superr, and welcome.

<<Hi..Im 18 and Im going to start investing for my retirement...Im curious tho..seeing Im paying a lot of social sec. tax, and I know I won't see a penny in about 2040 when I come around to retirement..but is it possible to divert the money I pay into the government and put it into some type of retirement account? Any long as I have some money to look forward to...>>

Nope, you cannot divert your FICA taxes (note I did NOT say contributions) to an investment of your choice at this time. Perhaps in the future should Congress change the rules on Social Security, but definitely not now.

I do believe your fears are unfounded, though. While Social Security will definitely change, it will still be there as long as the United States exists as a country. The changes will be substantial, the promised payments smaller, the age for retirement later. But the system will still be there unless the official language of the country has changed to Chinese, Farsi, or something else.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.