No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Sweth, and welcome. You wrote in part:

<<I worked for an educational institution for a few years, and while there contributed a few thousand dollars to a TIAA-CREF 403(b). When I left that job a year ago and went to work in the private sector, I left the money in that account, since I was told that I could not roll it over into the 401(k) my new employer provided. I was recently told that what I should have done instead was roll the funds in that account into an IRA, instead. >>

Others have given you an excellent response to all your queries. I'll just point out that you may find your ability to transfer your 403b plan money to an IRA somewhat limited. As an example, money invested in CREF vehicles can be moved to an IRA only over a 10-year period, not all at once. Thus, don't be surprised if your 403b custodian tells you some restrictions may apply.

Regards..Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement