No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, TGA, and welcome. You asked:

I took a position with a company that has no 401K program. On a self directed program, what is the maximum that can be set aside and should I be able to do this through any discount broker. I am also rolling over the previous company 401K - would like to follow the MF Dow plan - any comments??

In the absence of participation in a qualified retirement plan through work, you may contribute up to $2K to a deductible traditional IRA. Beyond that amount, you must use taxable accounts. If you can afford the full $2K contribution and don't really care about the tax deduction, you may want to consider using a non-deductible Roth IRA. Fully funded each year, that vehicle will give you the best result in retirement because, unlike the deductible IRA, everything will ultimately come out of the Roth tax-free.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.