No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Thinkbigger, and welcome. You asked:

<<Hubby and I both work - he has a pension thru his employer, I on the other hand do not. We file jointly.
I have read your info on regular IRA's and Roth IRA's but can you do both?? ie can I do a regular IRA and he do a Roth?? I know about the income limits and we are under those. I have seen excellent examples of "either or" but no "you can do both". Did I miss something on your Foolsih IRA info??>>

Yes, you may have a traditional IRA while your hubby uses a Roth IRA. Both of you may also have and make contributions to a traditional and a Roth IRA at the same time. The types of IRA either of you uses does not matter. All that does is neither of you may contribute more than $2K in any year to your separate IRAs. So you yourself can put $1 in 1,000 traditional IRAs and $1 in 1,000 Roth IRAs for a total of $2K. Your husband can do the same thing. All that's important is the contribution limit, not the number or type of IRA.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.