UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Takahashi101 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1632  
Subject: Re: Another US expat in Japan Date: 7/15/2008 2:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings,

Those are good question and I`m sorry I can`t answer any of them as I have similiar questions myself. Seems like this discussion board is pretty dead, much to my surprise. Hopefully it will become more lively with those interested in investing who live in Japan.

I`m living in the Toyama region. I would be interested in forming an investment club. The investment world in Japan seems pretty opague to me and from my discussions with people here, no one seems to invest their money in stocks or other investments. They just seem to keep it all in the bank and seem highly risk adverse. I`ve never met one Japanese person who buys stocks and is an active and knowledgeable individual investor. Yet I`m sure they exist out there as there is a lot of on-line trading activity here and the stock market is the second biggest in the world.

So lets get the ball rolling and discuss some ideas about investing while in Japan. I`m originally from Canada, so I have different tax issues than you. But other than that, it would be good to try to find out about getting started here, preferably in English. Sometimes the market here swings very low and it becomes a good buying opportunity. It was down to 11,000 not all that long ago. But I hear one needs to be nimble in the Japanese market as there is a lot of ups and downs and not a continue march upwards.

Please feel free to share your thoughts and any information/insights to the topics at hand.

Regards,

Tak
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement