No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Tjvc, and welcome. You asked:

<<I am leaving one company for another and have heard I can transfer the money from my old 401K into my current Roth IRA (which I will be taking personal control of at the end of the year). How do I go about it?>>

The only way you may transfer your old 401k money to a Roth IRA is to first transfer it to a traditional IRA. Once in the traditional IRA, the funds may then be further transferred to a Roth IRA. On transfer, the proceeds become taxable to you. As to how you do that, any IRA provider can walk you through the necessary steps. The real question is should you do it. And unless you can pay for the income taxes due on that transfer out of assets other than those now in the 401k, the answer is generally no. For details, see my analysis on this board in post number 1567 at . You must do a similar analysis to see how it would work for you.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.