UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 79101  
Subject: Re: Roth early withdraw Date: 2/28/2000 4:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Tom, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I converted a regular to a Roth IRA in 1999. Now I need to pay the taxes on the original rollover amount. I have done well in the stock market with my IRA and have made no additional cash contributions. Can I withdraw from the Roth to pay the taxes for the rollover conversion. Will I have a 10% penalty and/or taxes on the amount I withdraw. I will not have to touch the original conversion funds???? Anyone been there done that??? Thanks in advance for the reply,>>

Take any money from the conversion IRA before the money has been in that IRA for five tax-years, and you will pay a 10% penalty on anything taken . The Roth IRA considers any withdrawal as coming first from annual contributions, next from amounts converted to a Roth from a traditional IRA, and last from earnings. If that's the only Roth IRA you have, then the first money out is considered conversion money. You can't touch that penalty-free until it's been there for five tax-years.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2015!
Fistula Foundation: A World of Good!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.