Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: wcfenton Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19257  
Subject: Re: IRAs & Earned Income Date: 12/14/2002 12:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Greetings Tom...

Bill, If you have a traditional IRA, you could consider converting it to a ROTH and your wife could benefit from if you pass before she does. However, this only works if you have already created the traditional IRA from earned income.

I don't have a traditional IRA. When I was in my income producing years, I was too busy spending my money to really consider saving much. And, investing in the stock market, well...that was way too confusing for me, besides, I was looking at a decent government pension. Why did I need to concern myself with all that investing stuff. Why, in deed!!

I only wish that someone would have taken me aside and explained a few things to me. The fear of the unknown (Investing in general) and a false sense of financial well-being can get a person in trouble, or at least result in a retirement situation that could have been much better. I'm not complaining because I know of alot of people who took huge hits on their retirement investments where I didn't. But, we all would like to have just a little more than we do.

Hopefully, the laws will change to where anyone with any type of funds will be able to utilize the IRA approach for whatever investing reason thay want. It probably won't happen, but it's a nice thought!

Happy Holidays,
Bill
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement