Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, TomNJean, and welcome. You asked:

<<I have an IRA account with a brokerage company. I want to handle it myself. Can I do that?... legally and without having to pay any taxes on it? I'm not old enough to retire yet.... but it won't be too long. What do I have to do to close the account with the brokerage and take control of the IRA myself?>>

No, you may not act as the custodian/administrator of your own IRA. Only designated financial institutions may do that. You may, though, direct the investments within that IRA because your custodian is a broker. Thus, you are free to buy and sell individual securities available through that broker. Because those trades occur within the IRA, they will have no effect on your income taxes regardless of whether you gain or lose money on the trades.

For more on IRAs, you should read our IRA area at

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.