Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Greetings, Ty, and welcome. You wrote:

I had a 457 plan. THen was put on permanet disability retirement.
i;m done working and the law (so they say)says i can only roll over to another 457. If i; m not going into the gov't or any where else what do i "have to do with the money". Im 51 years old

Your plan will determine your specific options, but in your case you may take the money now and pay ordinary income taxes on whatever you take. Because this is not a qualified retirement plan, this year you may not transfer it to an IRA. On January 1, you may do so, but then you must play by IRA rules. Those restrict withdrawals prior to age 59 1/2 by imposing a penalty in most cases. There are eight ways to avoid that as discussed in our IRA area at You could use the "substantially equal periodic payment" rule or (if you qualify under stringent criteria) the disability rule.

I suggest if your plan allows you to access the money while leaving it there, do so. It allows you greater flexibility than does a transfer to an IRA after January 1 of next year.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.