No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Windknot, and welcome. You wrote:

<<From 1974-1990 I made monthly contributions to a TSA which now is worth about $31,000. I would like to re-invest a large chunk of this into the stock market, but am wondering what the tax consequences such a move would have for me?>>

Assuming this is an old 403b plan from a prior employer, there shouldn't be any reason you cannot surrender the TSA and have the net proceeds transferred to a self-directed IRA at the broker of your choice. Both your present custodian and the broker can guide you through the necessary steps to do that without any tax impact to you.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.