No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, wlcollins, and welcome. You asked:

If I'm thinking about retiring when I'm 50, how can I get access to the 401K's and other retirment vehicles I have without paying those big penalties. Someone tried to tell me that if I "legitimaltly" retire before age 59.5, I can get at those accounts without additional tax or penatlites. Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject? I would like to do additional reading if possible.

Yes, it's possible to get at the money when you're younger than age 59 1/2 by using what's called a Section 72(t) distribution. Once started, you can't stop it or change it until you reach age 59 1/2. It's all explained in this folder at . Read that, and then c'mon back if you have further questions.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.