No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, WriterStitcher, and welcome. You wrote:

>> You cannot contribute anything to a Roth IRA if
>> your AGI is over $10,000.

This doesn't sound right. Shouldn't that be $100,000?>>

In the context of the original query from a writer who was married but who filed a separate return from his spouse, that answer is absolutely correct. Those who file separate returns while married are limited to an AGI of less than $10K to make a partial contribution to a Roth. (Nore: The phaseout range is $0 to $10K on a married filing separate return.)

The only way around that is to have NOT been living with the spouse for the ENTIRE tax year. In that case, the phaseout range is the same as that for a single filer ($95K to $110K). Otherwise, the couple must file a joint reurn. If they do that, then the AGI limit becomes $150K with the phase out at $160K on the joint return.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.