No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, WSelden, and welcome. You asked:

<<I would like to move my IRA from a mutual fund to a self-directed IRA with a discount broker. Is that possible?>>

Absolutely. Any discount broker will be glad to help you through the transfer process. Just pick one and give them a call. You'll complete and return two forms, one to open the self-directed IRA with the broker you choose and the other a set of instructions directing your current custodian to liquidate that IRA and send the proceeds to the new IRA custodian. That's called a direct transfer and avoids any possible tax hassles you could encounter if you rolled the funds yourself. So, find yourself a broker and enjoy. :-)

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.